The detoxing trend continues to thrive with promises of quick weight loss and long-lasting health benefits. Cleanse the right way with these helpful tips and achieve safe and effective results.
The purpose of detoxing is to flush the body of toxins that have accumulated due to diet or environment. These include processed foods that are high in sugar and carbohydrates, alcohol, smoke and even nasty pesticides.
Our liver is one of the major organs that naturally removes toxins that make their way into our bodies, but that doesn’t mean we can’t assist the process from time to time! A healthy liver means a healthy metabolism, which is why detox regimes are often used as a weight-loss technique. A specialized diet composed of enzyme-rich foods, antioxidants and fiber aids in boosting the hard work our liver is engaged in, while also healing it from any damage caused by the toxins that enter our body.
During your next shopping trip, fill your grocery cart with these detoxing superfoods:
- Almonds help stabilize blood sugar after you’ve removed all the processed sugars your body has become accustomed to.
- Avocados are a great source of the healthy fats your body needs.
- Beans and gluten-free oats are rich in fiber and will help curb your hunger to help you stay on track.
- Beets and kale are packed with antioxidants that eliminate all those dangerous free radicals in your blood and will leave you feeling energized.
- Garlic not only adds a tasty zing to your dish, but also helps boost your immune system while you transition into a toxin-free diet.
- Sweet Potatoes and bananas help replenish potassium levels.
One popular way of cleansing the system is to try an all-liquid diet for a short period of time. This entails getting your daily nutrients and vitamins through enhanced juices and smoothies. If this method doesn’t feasibly fit into your busy lifestyle or seems a little too drastic, simply drinking a lot of water and increasing your daily intake of the superfoods listed here will do the job just fine.
The Institute of Medicine recommends 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day. Water is the best form of the liquid your body requires, but the occasional coffee, tea or other favorites (no soda, please!) all count toward reaching this goal.
Juice Cleanse for Beginners
The Basics: In place of meals, drink about 3-4 juices per day, about 16-20 ounces each and keeping to a ratio of 80% vegetables, 20% fruit.
Pre-cleanse: Prepare your body for the shock of an all juice diet by weaning yourself off heavy meals and start getting into the routine of eating mostly fruits and vegetables. Also, try substituting a meal with just a juice, it’s a great way to practice some recipes and find the ones that will help you the best.
Need energy? Kickstart your day with drinks that are rich in Vitamin C and folate. Look for recipes featuring beets and kale, like our Healthy & Sexy juice.
Hungry? Ease hunger pains by choosing drinks with a higher calorie count and/or incorporate protein powders into your blends. Try our Tummy Care smoothie.
Feeling run down? Green juices containing kale or spinach can help boost your immune system and ward off any harmful bacteria. Our Mudslide is perfect for this!
Post-cleanse: Ease back into solid foods. Start with soups, salads, and lean meats or fish. Replenish any vital bacteria that may have been lost by incorporating probiotic rich foods such as yogurt, pickles, and sauerkraut.
- Stay hydrated with herbal teas and warm water with lemon to prevent headaches and ease hunger pains.
- Juicing can be time consuming, prepare your drinks the night before so you can grab and go (or come see us and we’ll make it for you!)
- Support is key! Find a friend to do the cleanse with you to help you stay on track and reach your goal.